While I usually range far and wide from politics Net Neutrality is an issue that fundamentally affects everyone’s use of the Internet. Net Neutrality is once again threatened by the current FCC chairman – Ajit Pai. There is much that can be said about Mr. Pai, his attack on Net Neutrality and his motivations.
It seems like the only way this issue will ever be resolved is if Congress passes a law that fully protects Net Neutrality.
Useful links regarding this:
- Information about this issue:
- EFF’s form that allows you to easily contact your congress persons
- Battle for the net site that allows you to call your congress person and provides a phone script
Do you use YouTube Kids? Even if you’ve never heard of this app – what immediately think of when reading about this app? You would probably think that it is safe for kids. However, you would be wrong:
- New York Times article about the questionable videos on YouTube Kids
- Full episode: https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-weekly/episodes/6
The best one-paragraph summary comes from the above article:
“Algorithms are not a substitute for human intervention, and when it comes to creating a safe environment for children, you need humans,” Mr. Golin said. His group and the Center for Digital Democracy filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission in 2015 accusing YouTube Kids of deceptive marketing to parents based on inappropriate videos.
Thoughts? Feedback? Let me know: @eli4d on Twitter